Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Funny Story

A walk down memory lane.  A few years ago, or okay more like 12 years ago, my spanish wasn't what it is now...okay okay its not that much better..in my own family i am considered a "gringo".  I was on a train and i accidentally stepped on a woman's foot kind of hard.  Well she screamed, her foot in agony and i instantly apologized.  As i was in jackson heights, the ecuadorian restaurant capital of the world, i said to her in spanish "oh, perdoname, pero estoy embarazado por aberla pisada".  She looked at me and said "QUE!!!" (What?!).  I said it again.  "perdoname, pero estoy embarazado por aberla pisada".  She looked at me this time and laughed and said "QUE??!"  so i repeated myself and this time another woman next to her kind of cracked up laughing.  so i left the train, confused, and bewildered and wondering wht had just happened.  so i go home and call my mother and explain this to her  She tells me, in my efforts to say to her "Please forgive me, I am embarassed for having stepped on  your foot like that".  I somehow got the word embarassed in spanish wrong.  In spanish "Embarazado" means pregnant, knocked up, preggers...The real word for embarassed in spanish is "Abergonzado". So in essence, to translate, i was telling her "oh, please forgive me i am pregnant after having stepped on your foot.  I ofcourse, after hearing her say "What?!" a few times kept repeating to her that I was now knocked up, pregnant after having stepped on her foot.  Ofcourse, fret not my friends, readers, followers, while i did fail biology in high school more than once, i doooo know you can't pregant through a foot....This is my "embarrassing" moment of the month story...What about you, reader(s?) do you have any embarassing little anecdotes to share with us the viewing public of this little blog-ditty?

No comments:

Post a Comment